Mohamed Benmahdjoub graduated in Computer Science at USTHB (Université des sciences et de la Technologie Houari Boumediene - Algiers, Algeria) in 2017. He worked on semantic web (Conception and Implementation of a multilingual ontology on language disorders) in his bachelor (2015), and addressed the feasibility of intraoperative augmented reality (AR) for Arthroplasty at IMASCAP (Brest, France) in his master’s thesis (2017).
He joined Erasmus MC and the Oral and Maxillofacial department in October 2018 as a PhD candidate under the supervision of Dr. ir. Theo van Walsum, Prof. Dr. E.B. (Eppo) Wolvius, and Prof. dr. Wiro Niessen Wiro J. Niessen. In his PhD thesis, he develops AR systems for surgical navigation and investigated the potential of AR for surgical navigation. In particular, he built and assessed new methods for image-to-patient alignment, 3D visualization, and depth perception in the context of intraoperative surgical guidance.
His interests are Augented/Mixed/Virtual reality, image guidance and navigation, visualization and computer vision
- Benmahdjoub M., Thabit A., van Veelen MLC., Niessen WJ., Wolvius EB., Walsum T van. Evaluation of AR visualization approaches for catheter insertion into the ventricle cavity. IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph 2023;(01):1–12. Doi: 10.1109/TVCG.2023.3247042.
- Thabit A., Benmahdjoub M., van Veelen MLC., Niessen WJ., Wolvius EB., van Walsum T. Augmented reality navigation for minimally invasive craniosynostosis surgery: a phantom study. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg 2022;17(8):1453–60. Doi: 10.1007/S11548-022-02634-Y/TABLES/5.
- Benmahdjoub M., Niessen WJ., Wolvius EB., Walsum T van. Multimodal markers for technology-independent integration of augmented reality devices and surgical navigation systems. Virtual Real 2022;26(4):1637–50. Doi: 10.1007/s10055-022-00653-3.
- Wooning J., Benmahdjoub M., Van Walsum T., Marroquim R. AR-Assisted Craniotomy Planning for Tumour Resection. Eurographics Work Vis Comput Biol Med 2021. Doi: 10.2312/vcbm.20211353.
- Benmahdjoub M., Niessen WJ., Wolvius EB., Van Walsum T. Virtual extensions improve perception-based instrument alignment using optical see-through devices. IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph 2021;27(11):4332–41. Doi: 10.1109/TVCG.2021.3106506.
- Benmahdjoub M., van Walsum T., van Twisk P., Wolvius EB. Augmented reality in craniomaxillofacial surgery : added value and proposed recommendations through a systematic review of the literature. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2020;(November). Doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2020.11.015.